Invested: March 2013
BioLumic UV technology delivers ultraviolet light to seeds and seedlings to trigger biological mechanisms that increase plant growth, vigour and yields. The team at BioLumic consist of plant scientists, agronomists, engineers and data scientists based in both NZ and USA. Together they are developing world-first technology which is clean, green and GM free.
Backed by the Government via a grant from MBIE, this technology also caught the attention of the fledgling cannabis industry, resulting in one of the world's largest investors of cannabis start-ups, Canopy Rivers, co-investing in this Kiwi start-up.
BioLumic Photogenics platform:
BioLumic develops proprietary UV RecipesTM via its Photogenics platform, where candidate recipes are screened from one thousand trillion potential combinations, using a combination of plant phenotyping, marker gene analysis, and data science. From there, UV RecipesTM are optimised against customer genetics and/or cultivation system, with recipes and application hardware licenced.
Read more on BioLumic:
- Agfunder news, June 2020: BioLumic hires Adapt-N founder to drive commercialization of crop-strengthening UV light recipes
- Precision AG, July 2019: Unleashing Agrifood Tech Potential Around the Globe: Spotlight on New Zealand
- Stuff, June 2019: How agri-tech innovation in NZ can help solve the world's most pressing problems
- NZ Herald, June 2019: Government invests $2.5 million in firm with ties to medicinal cannabis industry
- Agritech, NZ November 2018: World-first NZ tech changing the global agricultural landscape